Sunday, June 17, 2007

Social Information Penetration Theory

When I first met my girlfriend I only told her the basic things about me like my name, age, and where I was from. As we got closer, we began to share our likes and dislikes, which made us a little more closer. We soon started talking about what we want to do after we graduate and what we want to do with are majors. As time went past, she started to become more open with me then I was with her. I have always had a problem with opening up to people. I don’t know why but I could never allow myself to let people know everything about me because I didn’t want to get hurt or let the other person think they had enough information about me that they could use it against me. But my girlfriend made me open up to her because she said she felt I was hiding something from her. But, even though we have been together for two years, she still has not totally figured me out yet. In the movie Swim Fan, a guy named Jonnie got to know a particular girl too fast and they exposed too much personal information too soon. Within two days of knowing each other, they had sex, and this action led the girl to believe they had something more than what Jonnie thought it was. She would stalk him, threaten him and do whatever it took to learn everything about him. She even tried to kill his girlfriend so that her and Jonnie could be together. I’m not saying that I have experienced this type of crazed relationship, but nowadays, you really don’t know what people’s motives are. To prevent anything like what happened to Jonnie from happening to me, I am very cautious about how open I am.

No comments: