Sunday, June 24, 2007

Constructivists Theory

I have a friend who recently broke up with his girlfriend. He called me, telling me the entire story. In an effort to cheer him up, I explained to him that in the world, the ratio of women to men is much greater, so why cry over one girl who obviously didn’t care about you enough to stop her from breaking your heart? I know what I said was very uplifting. After speaking to me, he called a female friend for a little woman advice. She was able to give him more comforting advice. I knew by calling someone of a different gender would play a major role in making him feel better. This situation is a perfect example of cognitive complexity. She told him let things die down before he tried talking to her, telling him “Don’t worry she will come back to you.” Her more sophisticated message offered him comfort in addition to him doing the right thing… my advice on the other hand was more of a person-centered message and would only help him for all of five minutes.

No comments: