Sunday, June 17, 2007

Expectancy Violation Theory

In the hit TV show Family Matters, Steve always violated Laura’s personal space by coming near her even when she didn’t want him to. Steve broke all of the person space expectations rules. I have experienced this type of uncomfortable feeling that you get when people violate your person space. One day, I was in the laundry mat sitting at a table waiting for my clothes to get finished drying. I was sitting at a small table with my girlfriend, and an older woman sat down with us. There were many other tables available, but for some reason she sat next to us. I didn’t understand why she sat so close to me, let alone at the same table as me. It felt weird because I had no idea who she was. For all I knew, she could have been close to me so she could pick pocket my wallet or something. It made me feel a little uncomfortable but I didn’t want to be rude. I tried to give her nonverbal clues to let her know I wanted her to move, but she still stayed there. I guess my fake smile wasn’t enough for her to get the hint.

No comments: